Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 5, 2011

SASTERAWAN NEGARA WANITA NEXT YEAR?

It has been a while since my last Note. I was caught up with a lot of office chores including the Sarawak State Election last month.

I want to say (read as write) something on the Anugerah Sasterawan Negara. The 11th Sasterawan Negara which was announced by the Deputy Prime Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin on Tuesday is Dato' Dr Ahmad Kamal Abdullah or affectionately known as Kemala. I don't know him personally but I'm proud to be his FB friend.

What I want to propose here is for the government to consider a lady to be the 12th Sasterawan Negara.

Let me suggest some names. How about Dr Fatimah Busu for a start. Born in 1943, she is now a Contract Lecturer in USM after having retired in 1998. She has won the Hadiah Sastera Malaysia 13 times from 1971 - 1996, mostly poetry.

Next we have Dr Zurinah Hassan, also a prolific poet. Six years younger that Fatimah Busu, Zurinah too has countless awards to her credit.

What about Khadijah Hashim or Zaharah Nawawi? If not now, maybe in a few years to come.

I'll come back with more names...

No comments: